I’ve just printed the second block, in a strong red – a mixture of scarlet and crimson.
Now I have to decide whether to add the bright yellow glaze to selected areas on the third block (cream) or to selected areas on the fourth block (pale blue).
If I add the yellow glaze to the third block, I will end up with some pale greens. (As once I’ve printed the pale blue of the fourth block onto that new yellow glaze of the third block, that’s what I’ll get.)
I’m not sure I want any green – and I could avoid it by adding the yellow glaze onto sections of the fourth block, where it will sit alongside the blue, instead of under it.
This of course means less variations in terms of the whole colour scheme. Hmm……
Inking up the first block (again)
and hanging it up to dry…..
One new lino block, with the line drawing transferred and ready for cutting……
A few hours later and the block is starting to take shape……..
And the pile of lino clippings grows ever larger…..
I’ve been painting madly for my solo show at Cambridge Contemporary Art , which is going up in a couple of weeks.
It’s been quite solitary, working away on my own, and so I’ve been pleased to get back into the studio and make a start on a new linocut.
I find it useful to alternate painting with printmaking – each informs and compliments the other and keeps the work fresh…..
Here are three proofs of my latest print. Looking at them, they don’t seem particularly different but I guess I do a lot of forward planning – once the blocks are cut, they can’t take a lot of tinkering with, although I do try. Here is a post on my repair kit…..
And below is the finished print, in case you couldn’t tell. (And if you prefer one of the earlier proofs, then please don’t mention it….)
After various unscheduled delays, my (as yet unnamed) new linocut is now drying nicely in the studio……..
Here is an image of my new linocut – it’s of the skating rink at Canada Water and it’s called The Pursuit of Happiness (dimensions 29cm x 51cm).
I’ve worked out now why I’m so slow at painting.
It’s almost finished, I think – just a few little adjustments (as seen on the left).
Some gruelling weeks later, I end up with something not all that different really (on the right)….
Image shown: Way Out, oil on linen, 50cms x 50cms (to be shown at my solo show in April 2011 at Cambridge Contemporary Art.)
Somehow, I can find a lot to interest me when I’m cutting my printing blocks – for instance, delicate little curls of lino appear from the thin lines on a skyscraper and great thick wedges from clearing large areas like the sky. It’s really quite….. ok, I admit it, things have been a bit slow today.
I’ve finally got around to starting a new linocut – of the ice rink at Canary Wharf.
The idea is to keep it fairly monochromatic, with some small flashes of colour provided by the skaters.
Well, that’s the idea – but those bright colours have a habit of sneaking in all over the place anyway…..