First, the working drawing…..
Then a spot of cutting…..
Inking up the first block…..
More cutting, this time it’s the second block……
Second block now printed – and (I suspect you may be ahead of me here) yet more cutting….
Three of the four blocks now cut…..
The third block is printed – some proofs to agonize over pointlessly….
Tools at the ready, fourth block awaiting – and yet more cutting, sigh…
Fourth block printed and none of the proofs look quite right. Time to cut and paste….
So I’m going back to the beginning – first block printed again, with some adjustments.
And there you have it – three weeks of my life that I’m never going to get back……
Here is my new linocut of Bank Tube Station – just a snap taken on my phone at the studio – but you get the idea. I wanted to call it Little and Large – but I decided to be sensible and so I settled on Weekend Away….
To my shock, and if I’m honest, some horror too, I realised that I’d started writing about the progress of this ‘new’ linocut nearly two months ago.
I got as far as talking about planning the print here, starting work on the first block here and posting a photo of pulling a proof of it here. I thought it was all going rather well.
Then I made the usual mistake of opening my plan chest drawer and casting an ever so slightly critical eye over my last editioned print, of Liverpool Street Station.
And yes, before I knew it, I was back to wrestling with the wretched thing – for what felt like at least a year but probably wasn’t…
Consequently it all went a bit quiet on the London Bridge Station front, until I finally managed to get back to working on it again.
And here’s the result – just need a title now….
Well, I’ve spent weeks re-working this print.
And as you can see, there’s not a lot of difference, really.
Still, I’m happy with it now…..
I think I can safely say that these will be the last ever proofs of this linocut – I finished them today – and I’ll be making some decisions about them over the weekend.
Finally, I’m reasonably happy with these – so I think I’ll carry on printmaking for now. I guess I won’t be trying to get a proper job. Tesco is safe for the time being…..
In the end, I decided to print in two tones of the same colour on the third block, in order to get some more depth. The trouble with using the same colour all over was that, in order for the yellow on the platform to create a strong light effect, by comparison the yellow in the little arched windows at the back was far too strong and kept jumping forward.
So I used a slightly denser yellow (lemon yellow, olive green and some white) on the top and bottom sections, and just added more white to the middle section.
Anyway, I have three slightly different versions of this proof, on which to experiment with the last colour – I sort of wish I had thirty….
A quick bit of cutting on the second block – this was previously the third block but I’ve decided to swap the order of printing so that the blue goes on before the yellow. Desperate measures……
And a quick bit of printing later, here is a proof. The paper has come out a bit yellowy, which I quite like – maybe I should have a creamy-yellow next, rather than that slightly sharp lemon. Hmm….
Today I’ve mostly been staring at these four different proofs. They’ve been stuck up on the studio wall and I’ve come to the reluctant conclusion that none of them are working (in other words, they’re all horrible). Not only that, but I’ve completely lost sight of what I was aiming for.
Still, I do like a challenge and so I’ve decided to do one last batch this week. And if they’re still unresolved – well, I may have to go and work at Tesco’s….
From the top, the first block is printed in a deep purple, the second block is overprinted with primrose yellow and then a close-up of some of the crowd of passengers at the bottom. It’s looking fine at the moment but this is where it all went wrong last time….
I’ve finished cutting the block and taken the first proof of it. To be honest, I’m not entirely sure where I’m going with this now.
I was thinking of an early morning scene, with those beautiful pale colours and pearly light but in that case, a dark chocolate brown was probably not the best start….